Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:00:21
Boeing has indefinitely delayed next month's launch of its Starliner capsule — which would have NovaQuantcarried the first humans — after engineers found several worrying problems.
These included the use of "hundreds of feet" of adhesive tape that's flammable and defects with the spacecraft's parachute system. Boeing made the announcement late Thursday at a hastily-called news conference with NASA officials.
It's the latest setback for Boeing which has been plagued by years of development delays and has yet to fly its first crewed Starliner mission.
After the space shuttle was retired in 2011, NASA needed a way to ferry people to and from the International Space Station. In 2014, NASA awarded Boeing more than $4 billion under its Commercial Crew program to build the capsule. At the same time, NASA also selected SpaceX to build and design a competing system which has already sent humans into space ten times (including seven missions for NASA).
Starliner has flown twice. The first mission, in 2019, failed to reach the I.S.S. after its on-board clock malfunctioned. The second test flight, in 2022, did dock with the I.S.S. and was deemed a success. Boeing had been working towards a July 21 launch to send two NASA astronauts to the I.S.S. This mission has been delayed several times and this latest setback is concerning.
Just weeks before the launch attempt, Boeing managers determined that adhesive tape used to wrap and protect hundreds of yards of wiring inside the capsule could be flammable under certain circumstances.
In addition, the lines connecting the capsule to its trio of parachutes were not as strong as Boeing believed. During landing, it's possible that some of the lines could have snapped - potentially endangering the crew. Starliner is designed to land with just two parachutes. But if one parachute failed - the others could have too.
For all of these reasons, Boeing vice president and Starliner program manager Mark Nappi told reporters the company was standing down, "Safety is always our top priority and that drives this decision." A future test flight date is unknown.
Nappi says they'll take the next several weeks to investigate the design issues and come up with potential solutions. For now, Boeing says it's fully committed to the program and has no plans to stop developing Starliner despite being years behind schedule.
veryGood! (85)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Dueling GOP presidential nominating contests in Nevada raise concerns about voter confusion
- They lost everything in the Paradise fire. Now they’re reliving their grief as fires rage in Hawaii
- Zoom's updated TOS prompted concerns about AI and privacy. Can the two go hand-in-hand?
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Top lawyer at Fox Corp. to step down after overseeing $787M settlement in Dominion defamation case
- Shanna Moakler Shares Her Dad Has Died Months After Her Mom's Death
- Pottery Barn Put Thousands of Items on Sale: Here Are the Best Deals as Low as $6
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Rising political threats take US into uncharted territory as 2024 election looms
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Selena Gomez and Francia Raísa Twin on a Night Out After Squashing Beef Rumors
- School choice debate not over as Nevada’s governor has a plan to fund private school scholarships
- Selena Gomez and Francia Raísa Twin on a Night Out After Squashing Beef Rumors
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Alabama riverfront brawl videos spark a cultural moment about race, solidarity and justice
- Justin Fields excels, Malik Willis and Will Levis come up short in Bears' win over Titans
- Extreme heat drives Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs to declare state of emergency
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Southern California Marine charged with sex assault of girl, 14, who was found in barracks
Journalist group changes its name to the Indigenous Journalists Association to be more inclusive
Q&A: Kelsea Ballerini on her divorce EP and people throwing things at concerts
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Rising political threats take US into uncharted territory as 2024 election looms
Brazil’s police allege Bolsonaro got money from $70,000 sale of luxury jewelry gifts
How to watch Kendrick Lamar, Foo Fighters at Outside Lands festival from San Francisco